Elder Care in San Manuel, AZ
A newborn baby needs 16-20 hours of sleep each day. Over time the amount of naps and the duration of naptime will slowly decline but the need for a healthy sleeping habit will always remain constant. Studies have shown that adults need at least eight hours of sleep in a 24 hour period in order to function at their full potential. Of course this can vary from person to person, but what this tells us is that sleep does affect our well-being and performance.
Many elderly men and women find that as they age it becomes harder to get a full nights rest. Medical conditions such as arthristis, congestive heart failure, depression, gastroesophogeal reflux disorder and many others can all affect our ability to get a full nights rest. For some it’s a simple as waking up multiple times during the night due to the need to make trips to the bathroom. The important thing is that we don’t take sleeping lightly. If you or a loved one are having a hard time getting rest, ask your physician what you can do to make sure that your body is able to recuperate. Below are some tips as well, to assist in getting the rest that you need.
- Avoid stimulants before bedtime (coffee, sugar, alcohol, etc)
- Go to sleep when you are tired. Work your boy hard during the day so that when it is time to rest, your body will relax and rejuvenate.
- Create a Pre-bedtime routine. (take a bath, read a book, stretch)
- Relax your mind. Don’t dwell on your stressful day or spend time worrying. Put your mind to rest in order to let your body rest.
- Keep an environment that is prone to making sleeping easier. (dark blinds, soft music, no distractions, etc.)
- Don’t eat a heavy last meal and don’t eat right before bed.
- Watch your fluid intake. Create a balance so that you don’t wake up thirsty but can make it through the night without having to get up.
- Exercise every day.
- Stick to a consistent schedule.
If you or an aging loved on are considering caregiving services in the home or in an assisted living community, please contact our caring staff at Total Care Connections (520) 546-1554. We provide quality Home Care & Assisted Living Placement Serving Tucson, Green Valley, Oro Valley, and Surrounding Areas!