Many seniors want or need assistance with day-to-day activities such as cooking, cleaning, and driving. In the event that help from family members or home care is not available, many seniors choose a residential assisted living option. This decision can be overwhelming at first. Here are some tips to make sure that the assisted living home that you or your loved one chooses is a great fit.
- Ask for Reviews
Your first step should be to ask for suggestions. Between friends, family, internet reviews, and asking around in your community, you should be able to get a good list of suggested homes to research and visit.
- Visit the Locations
Contact the assisted living home and ask to set an appointment for a future resident. You will want to tour the location, speak to the staff, and speak to the current residents.
- Ask Questions and Take Notes
Take some time before your visit to decide what your priorities are and what specific questions you may have. Here are some suggested questions for you to begin with.
- How long has the assisted living home been in business?
- What is the goal or mission statement? What is the general purpose for this particular assisted living home?
- What does a typical day look like for the residents?
- What is included in the price? Are there additional charges such as meals, activities, etc?
- How often is everything cleaned? Do the individual rooms get cleaned as well or just the common areas? Is laundry included in the cleaning?
- What does a typical meal include? Is there set hours for meal times or is it available at any time?
- What are your rules for visitors? What type of security is offered?
- How many staff members are on each shift? How much personal attention can be expected from the staff?
- What is the surrounding area like?
- Is transportation offered for appointments and wanted trips to town?
- What types of activities are available?
- What specific health options are available? Can this assisted living home help with my specific health needs?
There are many homes to choose from and many of them offer great amenities, but the important thing is what will feel like home to you or your loved one. It is vital that you focus on what will make you comfortable and where you feel the most welcome.
If you or an aging loved on are considering caregiving services in the home or in an assisted living community, please contact our caring staff at Total Care Connections (520) 546-1554. We provide quality Home Care & Assisted Living Placement Serving Tucson, Green Valley, Oro Valley, and Surrounding Areas!