Caregiver in Tucson, AZ – Most Seniors Are Happier Living At Home
It takes a special kind of person to provide care on a regular basis to a family member in need. Most seniors would rather stay in their own home and rely on friends and family members to help them with everyday tasks. But what do you do when you see your loved one struggling with some of the basic tasks of living, such as bathing, dressing, personal hygiene, making meals, doing the dishes, remembering to take their medications?
Family members are often busy with their children, grandchildren and jobs. How will they meet the need for assistance of their elderly parents? An in-home care provider is the perfect solution. A trained, compassionate caregiver with experience in caring for the elderly will come into their home and help them with all the tasks they need.
If you decided to hire an in-home care provider but have some concerns about safety in the home, try making the following changes:
· Install hand railings on every stairway.
· Improve the lighting around the home. Install motion lighting outside and make sure indoor halls have adequate lighting, particularly from the bedroom to the bathroom.
· Install necessary grab bars in the bathroom. Consider putting in a step-in tub so they don’t have to step over the sides of a regular tub.
· Replace door knobs with lever handles to make opening and closing doors easier.
· Put all items used regularly on shelves that can be reached without the use of a stool.
· If a walker or wheel chair is being used, is there enough space to maneuver from room to room without any trouble?
Most falls are preventable. Sadly, some estimates are 30% of seniors will experience a fall inside their home. There are steps you can take to lower the risk for your aging parent. Help your senior loved one avoid falls by doing the following:
· Remove loose rugs and phone or electrical cords trailing across pathways.
· Remove clutter so it can’t become a tripping hazard. Small items shouldn’t be stacked up near walking pathways.
· Fix uneven flooring, loose edges of carpet or thresholds that aren’t level
· Install a vertical grab pole going from the floor to the ceiling beside the bed, favorite chair and sofa
If you or an aging loved on are considering caregiving services in the home, please contact our caring staff at Total Care Connections (520) 546-1554. We provide quality Home Care & Assisted Living Placement Serving Tucson, Green Valley, Oro Valley, and Surrounding Areas!