Caregiving in Tucson, Arizona
Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, and Grandparents – they’re all coming to your house for Thanksgiving! Sometimes some strategy is needed to hosting a multitude of ages, all with different needs. It is important to keep in mind that when hosting elderly family members or friends, special accommodations are never underappreciated. Here are some helpful tips to make sure that all your guests feel welcome and comfortable.
1. Inspect Your Home – Walk around your home to find potentially hazardous areas such as loose cords or broken steps. Also if you have a guest who requires the use of a wheelchair or a cane, move furniture around to make sure that they are able to get to the key areas of the home. If you have small children, pick up toys in main walkways to avoid a fall.
2. Ask About Special Dietary Needs – Find out from your guests if anyone has a specific allergy or dietary requirement so that you can substitute ingredients beforehand or provide a second option for them.
3. Encourage Involvement – Ask for that great family recipe or ask grandpa to start the meal by saying what they are thankful for. Many times it is easy to view a guest’s quiet tone for lack of interest. By involving them in the conversation, you are showing them that you are happy they are there and honoring them as a guest.
4. Prepare the Seating Arrangements – If someone in your family is hard-of-hearing, they might want to be in the middle of the table or if they get flustered easily the best place for them is probably not in between the two “cute” newborns. Think through where everyone will be the most comfortable and then ask if anyone would like certain accommodations.
5. Allow Time to Relax – Holidays and family gatherings can be stressful. Be aware of stress levels and tight schedules. Sometimes the best thing you can do for an elderly guest is allowing them time to sit down and relax.
6. Ask for Help – Additional assistance from a caregiver can offer you the flexibility to invite your elderly guests while still having the flexibility to meet the needs for the rest of the family.
If you or an aging loved on are considering caregiving services in the home, please contact our caring staff at Total Care Connections (520) 546-1554. We provide quality Home Care & Assisted Living Placement Serving Tucson, Green Valley, Oro Valley, and Surrounding Areas!